Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Let's go to the movies! Let's go see the stars..."




We took Taylor to the movie theater for the first time last Friday. Well, it wasn't actually her first time. I think we went when she was a couple months old and still nursing and sleeping a lot. We went to see the new Disney Pixar movie "Up". It was a sweet and thoughtful film, but probably too thought provoking for children to really understand. Taylor didn't start getting restless until about 3/4 of the way through - when the Reeses Pieces ran out and I stopped letting her drink soda. Considering she just turned 3, she did pretty well.

I realized a few days ago that it had been 3 years since even I had been to the movie theater. What would my film professors think of me?! I also realized just how much can change in 3 years! The price of admission went up at least $1.50. A large popcorn is now $7.00. Would you believe our small family of 3 spent nearly $50.00 on this family outing? Tickets came to $31.00. ONE large popcorn, ONE large drink, and ONE box of Reeses Pieces came to over $15.00. If I had more than one child, a trip to the movies nowadays would need to be budgeted and planned for.



Anyways, enough of that rant. The thing that I found most interesting are the "NO TEXTING" signs that are now on the theater doors. Now, why would Sprint be sponsoring this?



Upon seeing this sign I immediately pictured the catalysts for this being the 12-25 crowd. So, of course it made me realize that I am now over 30, a mother, and totally out of the "happenin'" scene. I am certain it was someone at least as old as I am who came up with this fun-killing sign. It just so happened, however, that the one breaking this rule was a man in his 60's in front of us who, at the beginning of the film, wouldn't stop playing with his phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment